Thursday, January 10, 2013

Monkey Mind: Working with our Thoughts




Dewey, one of my inspirations and a true innovator in the field of education, believed that reflection was a key to "intelligent experience."  An advocate of authentic experience, he believed that art, science, and public education "all bound together in a single organic whole," and in order for us to make meaning and arrive at true learning in our lives, experience must be guided from within.*  (taken from a quote by a colleague, Albert Barnes of the Art-Barnes Foundation).

As I venture further into the education world, I find myself drawing on my aesthetic and artistic experiences, more specifically, my experiences in Yoga.  I also find my mind acting CRAZY!  Like an angry monkey throwing rotten bananas and tomatoes at me....oh what to do with a crazy monkey mind???

Do we sit still and meditate in order to learn to "watch" our thoughts.  Do we use a lot of movement and flowing to break through and dissolve those thoughts?  What about when we can't get to a class or we don't have time to meditate (OR DON'T WANT TO MEDITATE, for that matter)?! 

There is no magical formula for anyone.  That is what I have learned.  What works for one person may not be good for another person.  I learned that the hard way.  What I realize in all of this is I want to help children work with their restless minds (if I can first get a hold of my own...haha). 

One children's Yoga Studio --Get Grounded--calls those worries, fears, and anxieties "quandaries."  A student there drew a lovely visual that sticks with me to this day: a "quandary" --a worry or fear--is a  green blob with a Viking helmet and a spade.  I love this image and this simple language!  When you see that "quandary" there's many things we can do:

1) MOVE! GET OUT THE WAY!  Go dance, run, exercise, walk, swim, spin, leap whatever activity works for you! 

Often, I find that challenging movement or physical activity kills my quandaries.  Dead.  On the spot.

So, in a classroom, perhaps we can get children to get up, take a stretch or even incorporate creative movement or dance into our lessons!!!

I love watching children express themselves through free flowing movement!  Free style dancing!  I also love getting them into their imaginations!!! For my friends taking "Integrating the Arts" this semester at Chatham, oh what fun we will have!!!

2) SIT STILL and just watch it go by! 

For the meditation lovers.  Breathe.  Watch the breathe moving in and out.  As a thought bubbles up, watch it too.  Don't feed it a lot of energy, like a cloud floating by in the sky, allow it to pass. 

For Yoga teachers, you will find a "beach meditation" for children at the end of this blog.  Even if you are not a Yoga teacher, you can try this simple and relaxing meditation on your own.  Have someone read it to you or record your own voice.  Created by yours truly, it is one of my favorites.  So effective at the end of a class or a hard day.




3) Third remedy for working with "quandaries:" As my Yoga teacher used used to say, "Don't go there!"

When you see the little "quandary" popping up in your consciousness, just DON'T...GO....THERE.  Don't feed any energy or attention to this little mean thought.  This practice is HARD!

Sometimes I am very successful and watching the thoughts or feelings go by, because usually, for me, it's a feeling before an actual thought bubbling up, and I have my arsenal ready.  I turn on music or go out for a walk.  I go clean or do something to "distract" my mind or take it away from those "quandaries," at least, temporarily.  I want to live my life, not worry it away.

A caveat:
Being the conscientious person that I am, (a curse?), sometimes I think that the "REFLECTION" thing is key.  You know, John Dewey, my man, suggesting that we find harmony in our lives when we can listen from within and ask those WHY questions in education.  Ok, I get it.  But we must be very careful that we are being MINDFUL and not stewing in our thoughts, spinning a web of evilness and self-sabotage.

All I can think of is the Wicked Witch, with her ugly green skin, and her mean-self, hunkering down, speeding away on that bike,  stealing the precious Toto from Dorothy. 

The Wicked Witch---that QUANDARY--STOLE the love of Dorothy's life.

Don't let the quandaries carry away what is truly important in your life.  Don't loose sight.

Are we really asking thoughtful and provoking questions?  Questions that bring energy to our life?  Questions that inspire us to do something new or see something from another perspetive?

Or are we asking self-deprecating questions in that state of anxiety/fear/doubt? 


Much Peace,
MEGAN

*Beach meditation is in a separate post!*




No comments:

Post a Comment